

**Pt. Loma Cluster Schools Foundation  
Board Meeting  
May 6, 2013**

Meeting called to order, 4:32pm  
22 members present, quorum met.

Moment of silence...

**Gil Gutierrez, Area Superintendent:**

Principal interview process; involving out-going principal and a panel of stakeholders.

Rubric created.

Applicants would have to be current administrators in our District

Panel will have 1 principal, 3 teachers, 2 parents, 1 classified staff member including Gil. Want parents to score applicants from the perspective of the parents, as well as teachers, principal, etc. Ranking of the prospective applicant. Superintendent will have the final say.

This week is the process for Dana Middle, and Pt. Loma high school's process will follow.

**Laura Caffo, PLCSF President:** Parent on both Correia and Dana panels. Concerned about consistency. I was invited to be a part of both panels. Are parents invited, or is this process open to all parents.

**Gil:** There needs to be a limit as to how many parents can be involved. I told the principals that I need a very representative group, go to the SSC, DELAC, PTA, Foundations, etc. to pick parents that have a more active role in the schools.

**Marvin Estrin:** Have any of the schools had a chance to look at the posting and the rubric? Can we create consistent criteria for Pt. Loma principals, with a document that all parents in the cluster can review.

**Gil:** I have no problem taking feedback from the cluster as long as it doesn't trump the panel.

**Andrea Justus:** Would it be appropriate to have a student or two from the high school?

**Gil:** I haven't looked at that and whether it's been discussed.

**Ian Law:** I would like to second that suggestion, especially at the high school level. Their input is extremely important. It's important for them to see how this process works and involve them in the democratic process.

**Gil:** I can check to see if the panel process can be amended.

I often find myself talking about a matter with Matt Spathas around the direction of the cluster. The cluster works very hard to support the cluster and the individual schools are also working very hard on their own mission and I see a disconnect.

I hear principals saying they need help with fundraising, or retaining certain staff, or a non-fiction writing focus at several schools and the PLCSF isn't working on those things. It isn't being communicated here. It would be helpful to have the cluster working together for one goal. What do the groups have as a common goal/focus for the future?

Perhaps having a small group to discuss this and then bring it to the cluster.

**Ian:** Should we be changing our [the PLCSF's] structure to address this?

**Gil:** It would help me to know how to support the cluster's vision.

**Melinda Albright:** The new SI that's coming in is focusing more on community schools and maybe we'll end up with less choice and a more cohesive cluster.

**Arielle Sykes:** I wouldn't agree with that. We have a very diverse group/cluster and community and I think we worked really hard for that.

**Laura:** I need some sort of leadership, how will we move to the next step. This is a K-12 for me, because I have kids at every step. I want this to be a K-12 step for all of our kids.

**Tanya Belsan, Dewey Principal:** I think we are trying so hard to work on the District's focus, that's it's difficult to

The core of our work needs to be aligning our kids with a 2020 vision.

**Kristin Rone:** I think we all want everyone to graduate. There could be something very generic as our core value, but every school will be individual in their offerings.

**Marvin:** For several years we focused on our Strategic Process, so maybe we should be reviewing that and making changes to that. We want the kids in our community to want to go to a Pt. Loma school, they should have the best possible schools.

**Jonathan McDade:** When I first came here, I didn't see a mission and a vision. We followed the Pt. Loma model that was the longest standing model at the time. But I didn't see it when I came here. Henry's model was more technology.

We then adopted a more STEM model, supporting the vertical alignment around math and music, but not art. Now they've figured out a mission around fundraising.

I see that we're a 501c3, but we have no fundraising.

For me, I'm a two year stop and it's challenging to fundraise, because we're competing with the elementary schools.

There is a disconnect here though.

**Gil:** I'd love it if the schools sites could say that they owe much to this cluster group. It will take the involvement of the school leaders and some of the parents in order to make this happen.

**Scott Barnett, Area 6 Board Member**

May 15<sup>th</sup> the Governor's May Revise will come out and we have high hopes. Not much else has changed.

*Facilities issues:* Moving ahead on the Ball field at Dana Middle. The BOE asked the city to take it out of joint use. David Wells, former Padres and Yankees, is donating a pretty nice field.

Meeting at the Park & Rec. Planning committee on May 13<sup>th</sup>, regarding the use of the field. I think the council will support it.

The Board will have to do a full environmental review process regarding the lights at PLHS. ADA upgrades and facilities improvements are suggested.

On May 22<sup>rd</sup> will be a scoping meeting, where people should be discussing environmental impacts. This is a key legal step for us, once this is complete we can move forward.

Correia is the other big improvement. Scoping meeting is tentatively set for Tuesday, the 28<sup>th</sup> of May, to discuss concerns of environmental impacts.

There was a complaint filed against the District against lights at Hoover High, which is stuck at the court of appeals. This complaint was raised by a Pt. Loma resident who is attempting to set a precedent. The specificity of the project is in question and we are appealing to the Supreme Court. It was an issue with using Prop S dollars.

Construction for Correia would not be for a couple more years, regardless.

We need to find a different source of funding for the lights.

I did receive different lists from the schools on various projects that have priority, and I am trying to work those out and find dollars for those as well.

**Marvin:** In the paper, they are talking about taxing sodas at the local level; is this something the District can tap into?

**Scott:** Knowing Greg Patel (of food services), if there are grants or funding available then he'd know about it.

I also just wanted to say a thank you and farewell to Bobbie Samilson at PLHS, congrats on your retirement.

**Sandy McClure:** To touch on what Marvin was saying, we're having a healthy eating habits day at Silver Gate.

**Laura:** Data information night for incoming Dana kids was very successful. Teachers, after-school programs, etc. were there. Families really enjoyed it. It was open house style and we had over 100 kids there.

We had our first fundraiser last month and I don't have the numbers, but I look forward to getting those.

**Nestor Suarez:** All of the information we are sharing is great news! I like the idea of revisiting the Strategic Review.

German Program- We are doing great things at Cabrillo and no one knows it. We want to bring this out to the community.

*Louis Rose Society*

[http://www.sandiegojewishworld.com/louis\\_rose\\_historical/louis\\_rose\\_historical.htm](http://www.sandiegojewishworld.com/louis_rose_historical/louis_rose_historical.htm)

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis\\_Rose](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Rose)

Involvement with the Office of Children in Transition, due to the large military population. Grants have allowed them to have Mandarin taught at Dewey and German taught at Cabrillo.

<http://www.sandi.net/site/Default.aspx?PageID=419>

Families who would be willing to host German teachers really make this work. It is very important to have those connections and supports for our visiting teachers/interns. Laura was instrumental in helping us find our host family.

This is based on a three-year grant from the Dept. of Defense.

This is part of our Strategic Planning, as in what we are doing to support and enhance our community.

**Tanya McMillin**, Dewey Elementary

Donor Nation has an opportunity now to support one of our volunteers as well as Dewey. Didi Quint is 91 years old and is a San Diego native. She has been at Dewey for 21 years, teaching chorus to our kids. She did win for the District as the elementary school representative. She was nominated as our Volunteer for Donor Nation, and I have information to share. Please vote to support the cluster. The money awarded would help support an art program at Dewey, which we don't have because we don't have a foundation or the ability to raise very much money.

**Jack Vallerga, Correia teacher, Cabrillo National Monument volunteer ranger**

What are we doing this community and to support the enrichment of our community? I feel this falls into that category.

\*\*See the yellow handout.

Email Jack by June 14<sup>th</sup>, [jvallerga@sandi.net](mailto:jvallerga@sandi.net)

- Agree to attend a planning meeting this summer. We need to get feedback from teachers to hear what they need, what kind of trips we can plan.

The three-touch approach, an activity, the field trip and a follow-up activity.

PLHS media teacher is helping support this endeavor with a video.

The funding comes from the Disney Foundation.

<http://www.nps.gov/cabr/index.htm>

**Melinda:** Is the focus historical or environmental?

**Jack:** That's where the teachers come in. What can they use that is valid for their kids? We need science teachers, history teachers, etc.

We had a first grade class that cleaned up the tide pools, picked up trash and then the kids made art from the trash and the teacher turned around and sold the art for auction to support the school. That's just one example.

**Jonathan:** We are trying to make it a two school event, to have our kids work with the HS students to make the video and to continue the grant.

**Tina Paulson, Military Liaison:**

Ally and James, Student2Student, an ambassador group that supports kids transitioning to a new school. Originally created for military students, but has recently been opened up to all students. Support for students transferring in mid-year. Help them find their niche at the new school and adjusting to their new school culture. Learning a new school structure, making up credits and adjusting to new teachers. Attended a training convention in Texas.

- Adjustments
- What important things they need to know
- Help connect with new friends
- Students relate to other students better than connecting with adults

Created a board of six students, with over 40 interested in helping.

**Tina:** This group stands out, they were the first to create a board, the first to have a back-to-school program created and publicity.

**Jami Barr:** I am so thrilled to hear this. Do you have something where kids can connect with the S2S program before they show up?

**Tina:** Yes, we already have email addresses for incoming kids.

There is also a Junior Student2Student program that will extend down to the middle school.

**John Evans, School Board President**

Vision 2020 \*\*See handout

Working with all clusters before the end of the school year, to get everyone on board with our vision.

When I started on the board, the class of 2020 was in first grade; they are now in fifth grade.

The issue was funding cuts, patching things together; what we needed was a plan.

Cindy Marten is very aligned with the Vision 2020.

I like what I see here, it's exactly what we want to see in our District. Involving not only parents, but students, teachers, etc.

#1 We want to have a comprehensive measure as to how our students are achieving.

#2 is something Pt. Loma has already been looking at, having schools as Neighborhood Learning Centers.

#3.4 is demonstrated in the selection of our new Superintendent; it is important for the Board that we have an educator in this leadership position.

#4 – we'd like to start tracking our students once they leave our District, to see what they end up doing.

#5 is an area we are committed to uphold for the whole District.

We are setting a basic reformation for a successful school in each neighborhood.

**Kristin Rone:** Choice programs, is there anything on the horizon as far as changes?

**John:** We are encouraging people to attend their local school, and then of course they are able to make their own choice as to the schools their children attend.

**Suzy Reid:** How does that affect the Title I, Program Improvement Year 3 letters suggesting to parents that they have the option of choosing into another school? Will those letters continue to go home, even after 2014 when No Child Left Behind has come to an end?

**John:** It is a Federal mandate to send out those letters, but there will be fewer options with fewer and fewer schools meeting those NCLB requirements (100% perfection by 2014).

**Tanya:** How does the Vision 2020 align with the Strategic Process?

**John:** It supports and helped shape the strategic plan.

**Sandy:** There are so many choices, especially with more and more charter schools popping up. So competing with charter and with other public schools can be a challenge for neighborhood schools.

**John:** We've probably approved more charter schools than any other Districts our size. If we're talking about students that are being self-transported to these other sites, we're talking about a more motivated parent group.

**Margaret Johnson:** We're seeing more and more parents come to tours this spring and we only have limited numbers we can take.

**John:** We are trying to encourage principals to really get more participation from their neighborhood families and children.

**Jonathan:** Is there a way the District monitors the effectiveness of the Charters in the neighborhood? I'm also worried about the exclusionary attitude of these schools that require the students to maintain a certain grade point average or they end up right back at our school.

**John:** Just like what we're doing with the idea of a quality school in every neighborhood, we are also trying to have a program to monitor the charters as a part of the Strategic Process.

**Laura:** Will our voice here impact the District and how they work with communities and clusters? What does our voice mean to you?

**John:** The key is in the communication piece. With all of the budget cut backs we've cut back on our communication dept. and it's made it more challenging to stay connected to our clusters and schools. We talk about promoting the schools in the community but the Board's policies are impacting how schools are able to promote their sites or how they are able to run their sites. We are hitting the bottom of the barrel, so I think we'll be able to have some more constructive conversations. There is less and less that we'll be able to cut.

**Laura:** Our goal is to work with the Board, not against it.

\*\*Some items from the agenda to review for the next meeting:

#### **Reviewing and solidifying our Cluster Goals**

1. Refocusing our attention to our goals and making plans to implement the goals:
  - a. streamlining the schools to make it a true K-12
  - b. academics – cohesive, progressive, and rigorous
  - c. vertical and horizontal planning and professional development
  - d. principal recruitment criteria
2. Making our meetings purposeful and meaningful
  - a. should we split off in our cluster meetings every other month into separate groups to avoid extra meetings?
  - b. curriculum team, fundraising team, marketing, learning environment teams
3. Rotating meetings from school to school?
  - a. gets everyone on all campuses
  - b. possibly gets new parents/teachers to attend when at their site?
4. Key group of cluster parents visiting sites to see what is happening at our schools

#### **Cluster Congress**

We're now meeting monthly with Cindy Marten and working towards being a stronger voice with the Board.

**Cluster Back-to-School Picnic in August** – Laura will get info out as soon as there is any. There may be a fundraising element.

**New business** – PLCSF Exec board

Need a new principal representative and will our current members continue?

**Ian:** I think we need a clear mission statement, perhaps different from our Strategic Plan, but something with a clear focus.

**Jami:** Let's pin-point one things we can work on. We lose focus on too many things, but not to say that that one thing is what we'll end up focusing on entirely.

**Melinda:** We are Pointers all the way through. We have to look to the whole, but the whole may be a little ahead of where we need to go. We may lose focus on where we all need to go.

**Laura:** I think that we need to enhance that K-12, "Pointer all the way" idea. Aligning is really our driving force.

**Melinda:** It may be uncomfortable for some parents because they are so focused on the elementary experience.

**Tanya:** What about getting behind CCSS (Common Core) and making sure our teachers have the training and that the schools are ready for this roll-out. Cross-grade level training is very important.

**Valerie:** I think Common Core is very important.

**Scott:** I think that's a really great goal.

We've been trying to work out "What IS Common Core?" But what will it look like in our classrooms next year?

**Jackie McCabe:** Oh, I agree.

**Melinda:** Another thing we need to do is see how we can keep students here in the cluster and keep them from private school flight.

**Jami:** I think a lot of that will work itself out, especially with a more common curriculum within each school.

**Scott:** Jonathan is really working on that with us here at Dana.

**Jonathan:** Ian, as a high school rep, is Common Core something you're concerned about?

**Ian:** Certainly. It's about time we've done something like this. It's a big challenge to change the way you think and the way you teach.



**Valerie:** That being said, for those of us without kids in elementary or middle, we're really hitting that need.

**Jonathan:** If we have an information night on Common Core math, I think it be a great idea. We need to have inclusive practices. The whole idea of Engage Pt. Loma is great; it should encapsulate everything we do.

**Jami:** That is something that I can take back to my school and get more people passionately involved.

**Jonathan:** We can start building around Common Core, workshops, writing, creativity, and fundraising.

**Gil:** There is enough clout in this cluster, you can generate a lot of interest with a common vision like this.

**Jonathan:** I've already spoken with Pt. Loma Nazarene as using our school as a training site.

**Margaret:** Everything we do as a cluster needs to have that Pointer there; it should be the underlying image. It should be in the background everywhere. It's easily done building that background.

Maddy McFarlane, how did she become the Cluster person, student of the month?

**Laura:** We'll be doing that every month on the site.